Saturday, May 2, 2009

Ethnography Considered Harmful

Commented On:
Brad Twitty
Jared Wright
(No one else has written on it)

Summary:
Ethnography considered harmful talks about the flaws in ethnographies. Similar to Norman's on human-centered design, they are trying to say that we use ethnographies too often. We do not realize the flaws of them and so we use them when there may be better alternatives.

Discussion:
This paper is similar to Norman's but on a different topic. It seems that complacency is their main complaint. I don't have a lot to say on it since I don't really know the extend of ethnographies in the field. I did not think it did as good of a job in its argument though as Norman did. It did not really convince me there was some grand flaw with ethnographies.

3 comments:

  1. I was not convinced either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they were saying the approach that the ethnographies are taking nowadays do not really serve their purpose as well as they're suppose to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. they are saying that we need something better but they are not offering any practical real world replacements.

    ReplyDelete