Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Man Who Shocked the World

Posted On:
Adam Griffin
Benjamin Carsten
Brad Twitty

Summary:
The is the biography of Stanley Milgram. It covers his whole life but by and large it focuses on the obedience experiments and the effects they had. The data on the obedience experiments covers what he did and what the results were. It covered his other experiments but in no where near the detail. It gave large detail not just to his life, but how the obedience experiments effected the scientific community.

Discussion:
The effect of the experiments was interesting to read. To see how little was needed to get people to commit what they thought were violent acts was surprising. Other parts of the book seemed to be filler, but them again everyone's life is full of filler. No one has an action packed life 24/7. I will admit that I am not sure how much of the book was useful to the class's goals, but it was not a waste of time to read either. I am curious how much of the book was pure postulation to why people treated Milgram the way they did versus having good basis for guessing why they acted as they did. I was surprised by the amount of quotations that the author got for the book. The book was full of information from other people as opposed to just story telling.

4 comments:

  1. I agree, I thought the book was a pretty interesting read. I had heard about the experiment before, but had not known too much about it, or who had first used it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I was surprised by the amount of quotations that the author got for the book." I had the same thought, the author must have done more than a little research before he started writing. It seemed like he had every detail of his life at hand, it almost seemed like an autobiography.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book made me aware of other experiments that I did not know he did. I do agree that there was a lot of extra stuff in the book that didn't contribute to the class goal but all in all it was an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also enjoyed the letters and discussions that occurred between Milgram and his students/teachers. It helped me get into the book.

    ReplyDelete