Thursday, February 19, 2009

Ethnography - Basketball seating

Posted On:
Adam Griffin
Brad Twitty
Eric Scott

Summary (Taken From abstract of paper)
The main things that this study did well was to show the areas that people seemed to fill last. While I originally wanted to look for small groups of seats and what was in common with while they were missed, this was not feasible. I had to instead look at what sections people would fill in slower than others. The study itself showed that people tended to sit in seats closer to the door or middle. This makes sense since when people first walk in they have no knowledge of were there open seats are. To their knowledge all sections have an equal chance of seating and they will take the closest door. The second thing that I noticed is that people will tend to take the best seat they see open first. They will not go searching for better seats possibly in fear of losing the seat they already found. This means that a few open seats down lower can stay open for a long period of time as people do not go and steal them. This experiment did not help me directly find areas that I should go to to find great seats, but it does give me a starting point such as to go far from the door. In the future I would like to apply it to non sporting events that have free for all seating and to take some recording device to further be able to track the seats.

2 comments:

  1. People do always seem to take the first seats that they see. I have done this myself, but only out of fear that I will end up getting a worse seat if I try to get a better one. I worry that I will walk past a decent seat to get a better seat and by the time I get a there, someone will appear from no where and take it. Then by the time I get back to the original seat, it to is gone. I know that this probably won't happen, but I fear it will and I take the first seat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is true. Unless you're with someone else who can grab two better seats while you save your current seats, it's definitely not something I would risk doing. Unfortunately, the seat usually goes unclaimed for several minutes. As you have said, most people would be content with actually having a seat, rather than risk giving it up for something that is marginally better.

    ReplyDelete